2022 superior Staying Targeted cartoon – Marketoonist

11 wonderful Staying Targeted cartoon – Marketoonist


“Our ‘Aha moments’ are actually quiet mind alerts.”

I like this remark from Dr. David Rock I got here throughout in a NYT article on the influence of contemporary distractions.

With trendy work tradition wired for always-on communication, discovering the area and time for “Aha moments” is a problem.  We now have to be deliberate if we need to create area for deep work over shallow work, an thought Cal Newport helped popularize along with his “Deep Work” e-book in 2016, and expanded upon extra just lately:

“E-mail launched this downside of communication-driven distraction, however Slack pushed it to a brand new excessive. We each love and hate Slack as a result of this firm constructed the proper instrument for the fallacious approach to work.”

A research from RescueTime discovered that almost all staff don’t go six minutes with out checking electronic mail or Slack; 35% of staff examine communication each three minutes all through the work day.

That is in line with a report from Microsoft on how folks use their office-productivity software program — 60% of combination time spent includes communication (Groups, electronic mail, chat, videoconference, and so forth.), leaving solely 40% of time for creation (Phrase, Excel, PowerPoint, and so forth.).

“Work is extra enjoyable with framed marketoons in your wall”

Store Now

It’s exhausting to create massive concepts if we’re all the time within the minutia. Considered one of greatest shifts in my very own work schedule has been studying to carve out 90 minutes of interrupted deep work time at first of each work day.  I’ve realized to deal with it as sacred area, as a result of it’s all the time the best time of my week.

Simpler mentioned than carried out, notably when working as a part of an always-on group.  

As Jeff Maurer noticed about Slack etiquette on the workplace:

“You can mute notifications: Simply go to ‘settings’ > ‘notifications’>’by no means get promoted’; and switch the slider to ‘on’.”

However it’s potential to determine new norms. A software program firm known as Convictional determined to not use any messaging instruments like Slack and made all conferences optionally available. One other software program firm known as Pathway launched a “Zen Day” every week the place they ask staff to place Slack in DnD mode to snooze notifications.

And I’ve collaborated just lately with a Norwegian startup known as reMarkable that makes tablets designed for deep work, with out Slack or different trendy distractions.

There’s a line I’ve all the time favored within the 1927 poem, Desiderata: 

“Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and bear in mind what peace there could also be in silence.”

Listed below are a number of associated cartoons I’ve drawn over time:




11 wonderful Staying Targeted cartoon – Marketoonist